Wednesday, November 24, 2010

bumGenius 3.0 OS Diaper Review


Fits 7-35 pounds

Price Per Diaper:  ★★★☆☆ This diaper has been replaced by the newest version bumGenius 4.0 and is no longer sold by most retailers.  However, this diaper can still be found on certain retailer websites such as The Ultimate Green Store as well as Amazon.com for around $17.  As with most diapers, it is not one of the cheapest nor is it one of the most expensive.  But you do get a lot of bang for your buck!  This diaper has all of the great features that moms want along with the ease of use for dad/grandma/babysitter, too!

Leaks:  ★★★★★ Not once did we have a leak issue with this diaper!  This diaper is extremely absorbent and has held whatever mess my daughter has thrown at it!  This is one of the very few diapers that I have ever tried at night.  My daughter is a very heavy night time wetter and usually sleeps for 12-14 hours at night.  Not once did we have a leak at night!!!  This diaper comes with a newborn insert as well as a larger insert for older kids.  The newborn insert can also be used as a doubler with the larger insert.  The larger insert also has snap settings so you can adjust the size according to what size you have the diaper set on.

Fit:  ★★★★★ I gave this diaper five stars for fit because I have never had any trouble finding the perfect fit on my daughter.  There are three snap rise settings on the front of the diaper to adjust as your baby grows.  This makes it very easy to change the size setting as your child grows or if you are diapering different sized children.  That being said, I did not start cloth diapering my daughter until she was 1 year old and 19 pounds.  So while I have found the fit of this diaper to be amazing, I do want to disclose that I do not know how it will do on a smaller baby.  I also love the Velcro on this diaper.  With any Velcro diaper, you can adjust the waist band perfectly to fit your child!   This is handy, especially for my tall skinny child!

Ease of Use:  ★★★★★ This is the by far one of the easiest diapers to use.  It is Dad/ Grandma/ Babysitter approved.  When I wash my diapers, I immediately stuff them so they are all ready to put on baby.  The opening for the inserts is large and very easy to stuff.  Completing this step prior to use makes this diaper a cinch!  You can then use this diaper exactly like you would a disposable; slide under baby, secure the two Velcro tabs, and you are done!

Washing:  ★★★★★ These diapers wash very well.  I have no trouble with staining on these diapers.  They always wash clean and smell fresh.  Over time, the inserts have become a little dingy and they have retained a stain here and there, but no one sees that but me.  The diaper itself looks brand new like the day I got it!  You do have to be very careful in the wash that the Velcro tabs are secured to the laundry tabs so that a diaper chain does not form.  This can damage your Velcro tabs (as well as other diapers/inserts/etc) and decrease the amount of wear you will be able to get out of the Velcro.  I have had no trouble thus far with the Velcro on my bumGenius diapers and they are one of my most used brands.  However, per manufacturer instructions, these diapers are one of the few that does not recommend tumble drying the covers, they recommend line drying.  I hang mine above the dryer on a hanger and they dry in no time at all!!!  Usually by the time my inserts and other diapers are done in the dryer, the hanging covers are too!


Overall Performance:  ★★★★★ This is one of my most trusted go-to diapers.  They are always in use or in the wash.  They fit my tall skinny daughter perfectly, they keep her dry on long naps and at night, and even my husband will grab these first!  I highly recommend the bumGenius 3.0 to a first time cloth diapering parent or for someone looking for a great diaper!!!

Total Stars:  28/30

Daddy’s Thoughts:  This was the first diaper that I got my husband to use and for a long time, it was the only cloth diaper that he would use.  He has since branched out and has no fear of any of our cloth diapers, but this is still the one he prefers.  These are also the diapers that I pack for Grandma to use.

The bumGenius 3.0’s have been one of our most trusted and most used cloth diapers.  We have had no issues with leaking or fit and they wash up to look brand new!  I have no complaints about this diaper and would recommend it to any parent looking for a great cloth diaper.  In June of 2010, bumGenius did discontinue the 3.0 and released the 4.0.  They have made some great upgrades, most notably the option of snap closure as opposed to Velcro.

For those of you with older children (1+) I would recommend the 4.0 with snaps.  The bumGenius 4.0 has all of the great features discussed here, but the addition of the snaps can save your linens.  We did have two instances where my little Houdini was able to get her bumGenius 3.0 with Velcro off in her crib during nap and then proceeded to pee and poop (of course!).  If she had been in a snap diaper, this problem could have been avoided.  However, I do not see this as a flaw with the diaper; the child is to blame!  I still stand by the bumGenius 3.0 as one of my most trusted diapers; I just have to remember to put her in a onesie to protect the crib!

I will be reviewing the bumGenius 4.0 next and will post a link here.


bumGenius 3.0 in Blossom.



No comments:

Post a Comment