Thursday, February 2, 2012

Happy Groundhog's Day!


As a rule, I try not to reveal too much personal information on this very public blog for the safety of my children. However, it is Groundhog's Day!  Groundhog's Day is very special for me because I grew up just a few miles away from Punxsutawney Pennsylvania!  Growing up in a small farming community in the middle of Pennsylvania nowhere was amazing.  I loved the air and the space and the people.  It is such a wonderful area and I am very proud to have grown up there (and hope to move back there one day).  And Groundhog's Day was always so special to me because it was the one and only time that the entire nation peeked in on our tiny little neck of the woods!  It was always so neat to see Punxsutawney and Phil on the national news and know that many people from around the country (and world) were looking in at us!

The festival has changed throughout the years, but one thing has remained constant: Phil.  Every year they pull this scared little guy out of his hole to see if he sees his shadow or not and predict the rest of winter.  Now, I have the utmost respect for Phil...but...most years he sees his shadow and let's face it...on February 2nd in western Pennsylvania...it is a pretty good bet that we are going to have six more weeks of winter!!!

And, for those of you who haven't heard...Phil saw his shadow this year!  Six more weeks of winter!

My family and many of my closest friends still live in the area...so if you are ever driving through a little town near Punxsutawney called "Home, PA" give a little chuckle and think of me!  For you doubters...yes, Home, PA is a for real town and no that X-Files episode was not filmed there nor based on actual events.

Also, a little shout out to one of my bestest friends...she was lucky enough to be born on Groundhog's Day and she is a cloth diapering, breastfeeding, babywearing mama!  Happy Birthday!!!  ;)


If you find Punxsutawney and Indiana on this map, Home is exactly 1/2 between them.  Right where the 119 symbol is!

This is your Geography lesson for the day...there will be a pop quiz later! :)

1 comment:

  1. Happy Groundhog Day to you, too, Laura...even if I am a couple days late seeing this blog post. Love your post, btw. :) And I am happy to say this is one geography pop quiz that I'd actually pass! LOL And, of course, I am sitting here fluffing my feathers because I am the mom of the Groundhog Day baby you are referring to. :D

    ReplyDelete