Do you -
- have to go to church or do you get to go to church
- have to help someone or go somewhere or do you get to minister to someone with the love of Jesus
- have to wait around and talk with other church goers or do you get to fellowship, encourage, life up and enjoy being with believers
- have to spend time with people once a year or do you get to spend time with people you only see once a year
- have to cook and prepare food or do you get to show your love to people by nourishing their bodies with yummy food you made
- have to change your schedule because your babies are exhausted or do you get to change your schedule and have a very good reason for doing it - you're doing what's best for you babies (and you've got a great reason to!)
- have to spend money on gifts or do you get to take a different route and gift something that means something to you or something to share about God
- have to eat that 2nd helping of pumpkin pie or do you get to enjoy an extra piece of pie because God has blessed you with good fortune
It's all about perspective and what you make of it. If you have a bad attitude it's going to rub off on others and pretty soon the enjoyment time you were hoping to have is suddenly filled with grouchy and cranky people.... all because of you and your attitude. Turn everything into a thankful situation and you'll be amazed how quickly everything changes.... it could be worse, a lot worse - we have lots of freedoms here and we need to be thankful for those everyday.
1 Thessalonians 5:18(NASB) 'in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.'
And as a side note - there is nothing we HAVE to do except what God tells us to do - it's ok to say no to another get together, or another gift exchange, or another office party. Saying no is sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself and your family.
What is something that you feel you 'have' to do but you really 'get' to do today or this week?
*I am also in no way saying that just because we have good thoughts we can change our lives or what happens to us - we can just change how we react to those things that do happen. Only Jesus can truly give us the joy that never ends! If you want to know more about that - please go here - Are you a good person?