Friday, April 20, 2012

More on Me, Laura B.

Hi everyone! My name is Laura B and am lucky to call Laura D a best friend!! I have shared on her blog a couple times in the past and look forward to sharing lots more. I am a SAHM to my two beautiful children C and A. C is 4 ½ and is the sweetest boy. A is 2 ½ and such a spunky fun loving girl. I am so grateful to be able to be at home with them. We live out in the country and are very fortunate to have a simple life. We like the country and all that it offers us. I met my husband in high school and we have been together since I was a junior and he was a senior. We got married in 2004, 5 years after we started seeing each other.

My family enjoys camping and fishing. We take many camping trips through out the spring, summer and fall. It’s so hard to find the time, yet we make the effort to get out and camp as much as we can. We love nature and being outdoors, so state parks are one of our favorite places to camp. We love hiking and just enjoying the beauty of nature.

My family didn’t have a lot of money growing up, so we were green before green was cool! ;) We gardened, composted, reused, etc. I was raised that way, and have continued these things on with my family. My DH and I have a decent sized garden in our back yard. We grow and eat out of the garden all summer, and also can and freeze a bunch of things. Last year we made homemade spaghetti sauce, salsa, applesauce, sauerkraut, sweet and dill pickles, and grape jelly that we canned. We also froze beans, peas, etc. We hope to make even more stuff this year. There is nothing like the taste of fresh food from your own harvest preserved to enjoy through the winter season.

After becoming a mother and worrying about what is in bought products, I’ve made a lot of things from scratch. Not only are you getting things with no worries about chemicals, it’s also saving you a ton of money. We’ve made homemade play dough, bubbles, glue, and slimy goo. They are some of the things I hope to post about also! I enjoy being frugal. It’s my way of contributing to our family when I don’t bring in an income. I've made my own foam hand pump soap, cleaners, etc.

Both of my children were breastfed from birth til they self weaned. C was around 15 months, right when I conceived A. Then A nursed a bit longer around 18-19 months. It was so gradual that I never even knew when the last time was. Which was nice because it was such a slow process that she led herself. I am a huge breastfeeding supporter!

I cloth diapered C from about 9 months. That is when I became brave enough to try cloth! I started out with prefolds and covers. I then bought 12 bG diapers. I then bought newborn diapers for A and started her out with cloth right after her cord fell off. We are just now out of cloth diapers entirely. She’s been wearing cloth trainers, just cheap ones made by Gerber. They worked really well for her. We did use the pull ups when we were out and about in case of accidents, and also at night. Right now she is *knock on wood* day and night PL!

I love being crafty and have not had the time to do a lot since having kids. The only thing I seem to make time for is sewing, and that is few and far between. I’ve also made A some cute hair bows. I love to sew and create things for my children.

Well that’s me, Laura B. Hope you know a bit more about me now and I look forward to sharing with you on Fridays!

No comments:

Post a Comment