Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Applecheeks Size One Review



I had never tried Applecheeks, but when a great sale came around I decided to snag two of these to try on Baby J.  The envelope cover was intriguing to me as well as the sizing.  If you would like to read more about my initial findings with cloth diapering a skinny baby and our rocky start to cloth diapering Baby J, please see the Intro post here.

Size 1 Fits:  7-20 pounds
Size 2 Fits:  20-40 pounds (have not used)

Price Per Diaper:  (2/5 Stars)  This diaper comes in pieces.  Just the envelope cover retails for $19 and then you have the choice of adding a Microfiber insert for $4 or a bamboo insert for $8.  This means that a complete diaper retails for approximately $23-$27.  This sounds quite expensive, but when you factor in the length for which this diaper will fit and be used as well as some of its features, it may be worth the extra bucks!


Leaks:  (4/5 Stars)  Once this diaper fit well (see below) this was a great diaper.  Very absorbent for pee, but we did have the occasional EBF blow out.  This diaper features a removable insert, much like a pocket diaper, only the pocket is in the middle of the diaper instead of the front or back.  You can add additional inserts for more absorbency for naps/nights/heavy wetters.  I did not find that we needed any additional inserts as the Applecheeks microfiber insert was very absorbent!


Fit:  (3/5 Stars)  Ah, the dreaded fit.  My skinny boy was just problematic in all diapers!  But this on especially.  In all honesty, this diaper did not fit well until about 12 pounds!!  This diaper is just HUGE compared to other newborn diapers (see picture below of GroVia NB, Fuzzibunz XS, and Applecheeks size 1).  I honestly cannot picture this diaper fitting a 7 pound newborn without the diaper being up to his/her armpits!  I definitely would not try this diaper until his/her cord stump fell off.  I tried this on my little guy early, saw how huge it was and how there were fairly large leg gaps, and I took it right back off.  I tried many times over the weeks/months and it wasn't until 12 pounds that it began to fit well but we did still have a small gap around the legs that would occasionally let some poop out.  Even now at 15+ pounds there is a small gap.  It doesn't leak near as often, but it still isn't a great fit around the legs.  I do however, LOVE the snaps on this diaper.  They are slanted just like the AMP diapers and Blueberry/Swaddlebees.  I feel that this design fits quite well.  However, this diaper does need an overlap snap (which it does not have) to fit those 7 pound baby's waists that it says it can fit.  This diaper does also have the gathered elastic at the front and back which makes a nice fit every time...once your child fits the diaper that is! ;)



Ease of Use:  (3/5 Stars)  This diaper is designed with the envelope pocket in the middle of the diaper.  It is an envelope because the flaps overlap so that you can use this diaper as a cover and lay your insert on top of the fleece or you can tuck an insert into the pocket and have it entirely covered by the fleece lining to protect baby's bum.  Also, due to the placement of the envelope opening, it is much wider and allows easier access for stuffing for those with larger hands that have trouble stuffing pockets.  This is a nice feature for all of the things that I just said.  BUT, where does the poop hit the diaper?  Right where the envelope opening is.  This means to unstuff your pocket for the wash, you have to get through the poop to do so.  Not the worst thing, we have soap and water...but also not the nicest!  I also found that the insert was just a little too big for the diaper making it a little bit of a pain to stuff.  


Washing:  (5/5 stars)  This diaper washed very well!  All EBF poop marks came out with just normal washing, no stains remain and the fleece has stayed SUPER soft!!  It is a cinch to wash and these diaper still look brand new after washing and wearing!  My only complaint is having to get my hands poopy when pulling the insert out. :(  But again, we have soap and water for that!  But for you squimish ones...this might not be the diaper for you!

Overall Peformance:  (4/5 stars)  My only complaints with this diaper are that it didn't fit as early as I had hoped (or the label said) and the problems I had with the envelope opening.  But overall this is a nice diaper, great quality, very absorbent, and had a nice waist fit.  But I do not feel that it would fit a newborn well and definitely not a skinny one!

Total Stars:  21/30


4 comments:

  1. The pocket opening is in the middle of the diaper so that the insert agitates out in the wash! I only have one of these but I love having one diaper I don't have to pull the insert out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I did forget to include that! Thanks for adding! I did not have luck with these agitating out in the wash. It was a 50/50 sometimes it came out and sometimes it didn't!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry I have so little to say about cloth diapers, but I LOVE that little boy!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete