Friday, October 19, 2012

Camping

The family and I are taking our last camping trip of the season.  We have a tow behind trailer camper, and absolutely LOVE to use it.  We try to go as much as possible through out the spring, summer and fall.  This is our last trip of the "camping season" because the weather here is getting too cold.  We'll put the camper away and winterize it so the pipes don't freeze.  So this is our last trip as a family of 4.  Hard to believe that this coming spring when we pull the camper back out, we'll have one more joining us! 

One of the fun things I like to do in the fall is take pumpkins along.  We love carving pumpkins, but never get to really enjoy them when we are at home.  When camping you are outside almost constantly, so what better time to do jack o'lanterns and enjoy them! 

As we've been camping since C was a baby, I've learned some tips and tricks along the way.  Some I just came to on my own and others I've seen from other campers in the campground.  Here are some of the ones that made life easier for me.

Take a tote, basket or bucket to store shoes in.  We always have an array of shoes, rain boots, sandals, water shoes, etc.  This has made it so much nicer to wrangle them all and have a nice organized camper.  Plus the shoes must come off before entering camper, so my floors stay clean longer!  Not so much tracking leaves and dirt everywhere.

A collapsible hamper.  While camping there is ton of dirty clothes, towels, etc that accumulate.  Having a hamper just makes life a ton easier!  Something so simple, yet we just started using one this season!

Rainy days are sure to come.  There is no guarantee with weather and even if it rains, we still find fun while camping.  It's hard because the kids are stuck inside, but if you go prepared life is a ton easier.  We like to keep a few toys that the kids just keep in the one camper cabinet.  Baby doll, bottle, monster truck, etc.  Simple little things.  Coloring books, crayons, some misc. craft supplies, play dough, stickers, board games, card games, etc.

Dollar Tree glow sticks!  You can't go camping without them! :) We usually grab some bracelets and split the pack between kids.  They love the treat and they are SO cheap!

Food that is low prep work.  I feel like it's my break, so the less I have to cook and prepare the better.  I try to do a lot of things at home so I am free to relax on our trip.  I like cutting up veggies and making up a veggie tray with dip.  Fruit salad is also a hit! Pasta salad, taco salad and such are great lunches.  My husband does most of the cooking while camping, so we usually do a lot of foil packets for veggies.

Less is more when camping though.  We have the rainy day stuff, but never get it out unless it's really bad out.  I want my kids to play in the dirt and rocks.  Find a stick and use their imaginations.  We do bring their bikes and helmets.  And when we are going somewhere in the summer with a beach, don't forget the sand toys!  Oh and scavenger hunts are tons of fun as well!  Take the time to unplug and reconnect as a family.  I know we cherish these camping trips more than anything.

I'm sure I've got more to share, but time is ticking away and I need to get packing!!!! 

 

1 comment:

  1. And from what I hear, you all had a great time! Gramma Rita had a nice vacation too! LOL :D

    ReplyDelete